Fitting rads in bungalow loft conversion
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pull2g
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting rads in bungalow loft conversion

by pull2g » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:52 pm

Hello experts! Advice needed.

My bunglow has had a loft conversion (bedroom) but no heating installed. Existing boiler is in ktchen (rear of property) and flow/return are routed up into what remains of loft space, descending into airing cupboard in centre of property. From there a pump/3 port valve provide hw and ground floor heating to 7 rads.

I have fitted one rad in upstairs bedroom plus small towel rail rad in ensuite, both with TRV and bypass for when both shut off.

Question is where to tap into heating system? My logic says down stream of the pump and then back into the return, both in airing cupboard. This would mean that I will have tee'ed off in effect before all the groundfloor rads. Is this OK?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:12 pm

My first thoughts are to ask how much higher the header tank base is above the top of your new radiators as filling them may be a problem?

There is no requirement for the tap off to be at any particular position in a circuit providing the rad is connected between flow and return. Of course, you must ensure it is actually in the heating circuit after the pump and 3PV not in the boiler feed side.

My last point is to ask why you believe a radiator bypass is required??? A "Y" plan heating system with a 3PV does not require any extra bypass as the cylinder coil and hall radiator are quite sufficient. Fitting others may reduce the whole system efficiency and depending how you have plumbed it, may stop some rads getting hot at all. Is it fitted with an extra lockshield valve?

pull2g
Labourer
Labourer

by pull2g » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:25 am

Thanks Plumbbob.

Header tank probably 1 metre above new rads.

Happy with the tap off.

Good point about the bypass - will remove. Not sure what you mean by extra lockshield valve? Each of the two rads have trv (will be set to 0 when unoccupied) plus lock shield valve.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:41 pm

pull2g wrote:Not sure what you mean by extra lockshield valve?

I meant lockshield to restrict the bypass flow but if you don't fit the bypass then you just need the valves as you have fitted to the rads.

Cheers

pull2g
Labourer
Labourer

by pull2g » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:02 pm

Thanks Plumbbob

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1