Fitting replacment cold water cistern
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mickcrawshaw
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting replacment cold water cistern

by mickcrawshaw » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:13 pm

I am in the process of fitting a 50 gallon Coffin Tank to replace the 2 existing 25 Gallon tanks presently in use in the loft. Each of the 25 gallon tanks have seperate outlets, which are linked. I realise that one supply is for the hot water tank and the other is for the cold water supply. Having checked the cold water taps with the mains tap closed it would appear that the only tap fed by the cold water tank is the bath cold water, the rest being mains fed. Do I still need 2 outlets from the replacement tank to feed both system, or can I use one outlet and branch off to both feeds?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:32 pm

It was an old regulation that required cold bath taps and toilets to fed from a header tank. This is no longer so.

Connect the cold to the bath directly to the rising main, and just have one outlet from the cistern feeding the hot water.

Incidentally, mixer showers and bidets need a low pressure cold, so only change the feeds to mains if you don't have either.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:59 pm

and if you have a pumped shower you'll still need a separate cold feed for it so you may well need a second feed pipe from the tank in those circumstances.

Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:53 am