Fitting RSJ Under Floor Joists When Knocking Two Rooms into one
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

Martin68
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting RSJ Under Floor Joists When Knocking Two Rooms into one

by Martin68 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:09 pm

Hi guys, i am going to knock two rooms through and will be fitting an RSJ directly under the floor joists as there is no timer wall plate and the joists are currently resting directly on the block work which needs removing.
I will be installing pad stones on each end, my structural engineer suggested that all I need is cut to size concrete lintels as the pad stones.
My question is: In order to get a tight fit so the RSJ touches the joists, should I first put the rsj in place, held up by acrows and then cement the pad stones into place under the RSJ, or will i have to fit the RSJ after fitting the pad stones?
If the latter, how can I get a tight fit of the RSJ up to the joists if the pad stones are slightly lower? I understand that people use slate, but I dont want to wedge slate under each joist, and i'n not sure if it's allowed for wedging slate between the pad stone and RSJ.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:00 pm