Fitting shower base over vinyl sheeting
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
BryanA
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fitting shower base over vinyl sheeting

by BryanA » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:57 pm

I am totally gutting the bathroom and fitting a new shower, WC and wash basin.

It is a wooden floor (1st floor) base and I plan to cover with vynal sheeting wall to wall. I plan to lay the vinyl sheet before fitting wash basin and WC pan but am in doubr about shower base?

It is Zone corner cubicle from B&Q and my question please:

Should I fit the shower base on top of plywood sheeting and vinyl sheeting or cut out vinyl around the shower base having the base straight to plywood?

Thanks for any suggestions

Bryan

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:43 pm

Do the flooring after the shower. Don't forget the shower needs a stable base. Dont put is straight on floorboards. Take up the boards and replace with plywwod. If its s stone resin tray the MIs probably say you should bed it on mortar on top of the ply as well.

Cheers

BryanA
Apprentice
Apprentice

by BryanA » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:12 pm

[quote="rosebery"]Do the flooring after the shower. Don't forget the shower needs a stable base. Dont put is straight on floorboards. Take up the boards and replace with plywwod. If its s stone resin tray the MIs probably say you should bed it on mortar on top of the ply as well.

Cheers[/quote]

Many thanks for the advice, The shower base stands quite high with about 5 adjustable pillars for levelling so other than building up around where the pillars stand mortar would be difficult but as I am not the lightest chap around it would make sense.

I commence work (I am retired) after Easter weekend and it could be interesting?

Again many thanks for your support.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:02 am

OK if its got legs then it isn't a stone resin tray so it won't need a mortar base.

I'd still replace the boards under the shower with a single piece of WPB ply though.

Cheers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:27 pm