Fitting solid oak plank flooring on concrete subfloor
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
BarneyMcgrew
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting solid oak plank flooring on concrete subfloor

by BarneyMcgrew » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:56 pm

Hello
Basically, is this a job for a competent DIYer (me) with a good selection of tools available? I have a levelled and prepared concrete subfloor divided between 2 areas - one is about 9sqm and the other about 33sqm with no particularly complicated shapes to navigate. Ordinary central heating i.e. not underfloor. I have 48sqm of lovely hand scraped pre-finished, end matched oak plank flooring - 125mm wide x random lengths 300 -1000mm (i.e. nothing too long) fully aclimatised to the room and one floor fitter who has just decided to vanish on a 3 week holiday. Cheers! :shock:
I know he was going to glue the boards down to the subfloor but was due to bring the adhesives and finishings with him, so I don't know what he was planning to use.
So, my questions are: 1. has anybody done this sort of job and wished they hadn't/found it OK/actually quite easy etc? 2. Are there any favourite/tried and tested (flexible?) adhesives that can be recommended? 3. Are there any big tips that anyone has to offer?
Thanks.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:34 am

Not a difficult job for a competent carpenter but we cannot recommend one particular adhesive over another on this site I'm afraid. Go to your local flooring centre and discuss the job with them and they will give their recommendations. We have used many many different adhesives and not found too much to choose between them.

jongurr
Labourer
Labourer

by jongurr » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:35 am

Hi there. We had boards fitted on a solid floor by a fitter with a foam adhesive sheet. Plenty of instructions at the timber suppliers website here:

(Link removed )

with several different methods. We are pleased with the result, though didn't do it ourselves, so cant tell you how easy it was. The boards shift a bit underfoot in one corner, but for one the floor was pretty uneven here, and for another thing it "feels" more like a genuine old floor with a bit of give. In an old house, I don't like things too perfect!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:09 am