fitting wall light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Graeme1874
Labourer
Labourer

fitting wall light

Post by Graeme1874 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:18 am

I was attempting to fit a wall light yesterday. Removed the old light, cutting the three wires and then attempting to install the new light. As per the instructions I secured the three different wires but when I put the power back on the the light came on. This is a hallway light which is comes on the same time as the bathroom light and when the power was switched back on both lights came on but would not go off, the light switch wouldn't switch off?? Next thing I knew the fuse blew therefore I decided to abandon my attempt and I am going to seek out an electrician to do the job of fitting the light. I have replaced the fuse but how do you fix the light switch?

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:48 am

See the projects section on replacing a light fitting, lights and switches and two way switch wiring.

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:25 pm

I will guess you have put the switch wire which is line when switched on with the neutrals which would be a direct short. The switch wire should have a sleeve on it to identify it but they often fall off. It is this wire that should feed your lights not the red or brown wires. Loads of info if you look at past posts on same subject.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:14 am