Fixing a loose handrail to newel post
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
PrimaryAmateur
Labourer
Labourer

Fixing a loose handrail to newel post

Post by PrimaryAmateur » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:45 pm

Hello,

I live in a new (11yrs old) build and the handrail on our stairs has come loose at one end. When researching, there were suggestions to tighten the fixings/replace the useless screws that are often used in modern builds. I have looked at the join and they did not even screw anything in there. The handrail was connected to the newel post using a little bit of caulk and paint alone!

Is there a way to fix the handrail to the newel post without lifting it out and having to fit all the spindles back in? All other parts of the rail are stable.

It is the newel at the bottom of the stair, and the handrail meets the side of the newel post at a 45 degree angle.

Could I get away with two long screws through the newel into the handrail? The fixings I can find on retail and diy sites seem to use plates with multiple screws and one stiff bolt. Would two long screws hold, or just chew up the middle of the handrail?

I can wiggle the handrail a bit, but not enough to access the end and install any plates or fixings without going through the newel post or lifting the whole rail off.

Any help would be very much appreciated,

Thanks,

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Fixing a loose handrail to newel post

Post by stoneyboy » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:27 pm

Hi primaryamateur
Assuming there is no mortice and tenon joint suggest you clean the mating surfaces, countersink one long screw through the newel post and up through the centre of the handrail and glue the joint with elephant glue before you screw it together. You will probably loose 75mm in the newel post and will need to go at least another 100mm into the handrail so you will need a 180mm screw. You should pilot drill up the handrail and only use one screw or you risk splitting it.
If this doesn't work you are then into using concealed brackets.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:23 am