Fixing a temp cable to my shed
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
NOODLES
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fixing a temp cable to my shed

by NOODLES » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:33 pm

Hi, is it possible for me to fix a temporary extension lead to my shed via a socket in my kitchen and fix a cpu unit on to it then run off the relevant sized wiring to power lighting and a few sockets ( only until I get a sparky to sort out a more permanent fixture the cpu will remain fixed to the internal shed wall aswell as the wiring for lighting and power ready for a more permanent fixture in the near future )
the cable I have in mind is a heavy duty external extension cable used in building sites to power heavy machinery.
specs on the plug states
16A-4h
100-130V~
50-60Hz
2P+E
plus will I still need to notify relevant parties even though it will be used as a temporary solution and not a permanent fixture , the cable will be travelling along a wall from kitchen to shed
cheers NOODLES

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:58 am

100-130volts domestic volatage is 230v this type of cable is for site application using 110v set up.
I'd say if you intended to do this using a cable that was rated at domestic voltage to fixed installation within garage.
Answer
No!

You could get away with it on portable equipment providing extension lead had RCD protection.
KB

NOODLES
Apprentice
Apprentice

by NOODLES » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:28 am

[quote="kbrownie"]100-130volts domestic volatage is 230v this type of cable is for site application using 110v set up.
I'd say if you intended to do this using a cable that was rated at domestic voltage to fixed installation within garage.
Answer
No!

You could get away with it on portable equipment providing extension lead had RCD protection.
KB[/quote]

Thanks for the quick reply,
what type of cable should I use instead ?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:18 pm

[quote="NOODLES"]

Thanks for the quick reply,
what type of cable should I use instead ?[/quote]

I would not recommend a temp set up for a fixed installation, I'd recommend getting your electrician on the job and have the job done safely and correctly. Before you get to used to the temporary fix and a potential hazardous situation, escalates to something more dangerous or fatal.
KB

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:54 am