Fixing Blind into Plasterboard but it Won't Stay
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JeremyDEagle
Labourer
Labourer

Fixing Blind into Plasterboard but it Won't Stay

by JeremyDEagle » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:03 am

Hi. I have a 2m long venetian blind that ways just under 5kg. I'm trying to attach it in the recess about some patio doors. However, it's all plasterboard where I can attach it to. I used 6 brackets, attached using plasterboard plugs but after a few months it fell out. It always looked a bit precarious but with pulling the blinds open and shut it just came loose.

I've checked throughout and there are no joists behind it that I can attached it to. I considered a baton using no nails but was nervous it wouldn't be strong enough.

Can anyone advise the best course of action please?

TimoS
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Fixing Blind into Plasterboard but it Won't Stay

by TimoS » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:36 pm

What type of fixings did you use? If you haven't used steel butterfly ones then give them a go. You probably have to drill hole in bracket slightly bigger to get that threaded bar through but its worth it. Those fittings hold up some serious weight.

Buildin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Fixing Blind into Plasterboard but it Won't Stay

by Buildin » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:24 pm

Yeah Tim is right. Its because of dynamic load when you're operating the blinds. The other problem you may now face is you've Swiss cheesed the plasterboard weakening it. Chances are you'll want the fixings in the same place as the ones that have pulled out.
Use the fixing Tim suggests and you should be fine. If the plasterboard goes again you may have to fix the plaster board or put a spreader board over it to give you a fresh surface
Rawlplug
RAWLPLUG HOLLOW WALL ANCHORS M5 X 37MM 20 PACK should do it.

Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:23 pm