Fixing Heavy Radiator to recently skimmed very old walls.
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lynn
Labourer
Labourer

Fixing Heavy Radiator to recently skimmed very old walls.

by lynn » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:50 am

Hi FOlks,

I have been renovating a 1900 victorian tenement flat. I removed a very old radiator from the wall and purchased a nice new one. The walls are brick and plaster (the old type with horse hair!). It is horrible stuff and crumbles away very easily. I had all the walls skimmed to give them an even smooth finish. My plumber attempted to fit the radiator to the wall last night but as soon as we attached it to the brackets the brackets started pulling away from the wall, ruining some of my nice new plaster work.

What should I do? It has left a hole about the size of a 10p coin. My plumber has said we will need to get panels fitted to the wall first to then screw the radiator into this. I am not sure he used long enough screws in the first place but either way there is nowhere else for him to drill into as he has ruined this part of the wall.

Please help, I need to hang it this weekend!!

Lynn

Freeman
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Freeman » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:25 pm

Could you fix some battens to the wall where the radiator brackets will go, this will enable you to pick and choose new screw holes, you could also consider sinking the battens into the surface of the plaster and fixing them directly to the brick.

Or you could use resin fixings in the holes he has already drilled

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:42 pm