Fixing into double dot & dab
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
brooker92
Labourer
Labourer

Fixing into double dot & dab

by brooker92 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:15 am

To my horror, I have discovered that our builders have dotted and dabbed plasterboard over an existing layer of dot and dab in a recent extension. I estimate that the distance between the outer face of the new layer and the brickwork is now 65 mm. Frustratingly, I now need to hang a rather heavy radiator on it.

I have used Corefix fixings in areas without the double skin of plasterboard, but these won't bridge a gap of 65 mm!

I suppose I could cut back the plaster and attempt to screw in a batten to help bridge the gap, but it's already skimmed and painted, so this could be potentially messy and unsightly.

I've looked into some long frame fixings around 140-160 mm, but I don't think they are really designed to take loads where the screw is essentially sticking out 65 mm into thin air (it may as well be thin air).

Do I really have any other options!?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Fixing into double dot & dab

by stoneyboy » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:34 pm

Hi brooker92,
You should be ok using 6x120mm screws going into masonry plugs in the brickwork. If you hit a mortar course you will have to move the fixings up or down.
Regards S

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Fixing into double dot & dab

by stoneyboy » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:35 pm

Hi brooker92,
You should be ok using 6x120mm screws going into masonry plugs in the brickwork. If you hit a mortar course you will have to move the fixings up or down.
Regards S

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:23 pm