DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Fixing Joists to Party Wall

Postby cerwood » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:42 pm

I am planning to put a suspended floor in the loft to as the current floor is sagging.

I is a terraced house and I was going to lay the joists across the house from wall to wall which is approx 5m. I have checked the regs and I believe 75 x 220 timber is recomended for this span. I was thinking of bolting a timber to the walls and then using joist hangers to span the room.

Would this method be sufficient and what should I use to attach the timber supports to the walls?
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:27 pm

Postby LCL » Sat May 17, 2008 4:57 pm


The size looks fine, C16 or C24, (just looked it up in the trada span tables).

As you are fixing to the party wall what will be a floor joist and therefore you are alterating the loadings on the party wall, the Party Wall etc Act 1996 is efective. You will need to serve a S(2) - Party Structure Notice. You can serve this yourself onto your adjoining owner, with a drawing showing the works you propose. If they dissent to the works, you cannot represent yourself and will need to appoint either an agreed surveyor to act for both sides of the wall or a surveyor for each side (both sets of fees will be your liability).

Hope this helps.

Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:40 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics