DIY Doctor

FIxing kitchen units to stud walls

Postby leap » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:39 pm

Could you please advise what would be the best way to fix kitchen wall units to a stud wall. These units will be taking the weight of crockery, glsses, tinned food etc. and unfortunately most of the fixings sit between the studs and nogins.
Do I need to remove the plasterboard, fix extra nogins, replace the plasterboard and make good, or is there a fixing that is strong enough to take the weight?
All comments and pointers greatly appreciated.[/quote][/list]
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:18 pm


Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

Postby LEO292 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:57 pm

The majority of my work is kitchen fitting so im faced with this problem alot. The only time Id add extra noggins in the stud work is if I was building the stud wall from sctratch or had to replace the plasterboard. Otherwise If the wall is 12mm plasterboard with a skim finish (chip the wall behind where the units will be fixed and find out) I would use steel wurly fixings. Ask for these in the builders merchants by the name of plasterboard fixings. Dont let them give you the cheap plastic alternative!!! These will be strong enough to fix the cabinets too. Also locate the studs and fire a couple of extra screws through the bottom of the units. Use zinc plated screws with brass cups. These will look tidy. Hope all this helps. Leo.
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:17 pm

Postby Arfermo » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:33 pm

Hi Leo, Your comments noted. However, I have been looking at Screwfix catalogue and they offer 4 different metal stud fixings but only one has a spec. They are Metal RediDrivas, Heavy- Duty RediDrivas or Easi-Drivers, none with any spec. Pro Gold Hammer Fixings have a full spec. I want to hang a 1960s blockboard 3 shelf veneered cabinet 41"W x 31"H x 12"D but only have a single batten in a suitable position to hang it on apart from a side batten but that would spoil the veneer for any future use elsewhere if I move house. So what do you recommend please? Or is there another builders merchant fixing you prefer?
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:59 pm

Postby kbrownie » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:47 am

Hi, redi-drive type fixings no good for this job, recomend Interset/Hollow wall anchors all good DIY/Builders Merchants and Screwfix should supply these.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 1995
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:36 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics