Fixing Shower Mixer Rigidly
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mervyncp
Labourer
Labourer

Fixing Shower Mixer Rigidly

Post by mervyncp » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:04 am

I am in the process of re-fitting my ensuite shower room.
The pipes to the shower mixer run up the cavity between a timber framed plasterboard wall and are not fixed at all.
The new shower mixer is designed to be held only by the pipe connections.
I am looking for ideas of how to make this rigid as my first plan to use tile grout is obviously doomed to failure.
Any advice appreciated.

Mervyn

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

Post by nitro23456 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:31 pm

if you have access to the cavity, fix the pipes to the studwork or add a noggin to fix them to.

If the wall is just plasterboard on the surface it is prbably advisable to also add something more waterproof such as marmox and then tile on that.

mervyncp
Labourer
Labourer

Post by mervyncp » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:37 pm

I have managed to sort this. It needed drastic action.
Luckily the other side of the partition wall was a bedroom cupboard, so I cut a hole in the cupboard wall, made up a clamp from a few bits of wood and screws and fixed the pipes to the inside of the cupboard wall, using some laminate foor underlay to cushion the pipes.
I just have to seal around the holes in the tiles now, but I found some good advice on this forum for that.

I just need to know how best to seal this shower waste now!!!

Lucky I'm retired and have plenty of time.

Best regards

Mervyn

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

Post by stevenc1603 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:31 pm

I would use a sanitary silicon to seal the shower waste, assuming that you are talking about sealing the grate to the tray.

Skids
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Skids » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:04 am

Hi mervyncp

Go to your independent plumbing merchant and ask for a ‘mixer shower back plate’. Cannot think of its name/maker, it’s a plate that holds the pipes and tap, which you then secure to the plasterboard/ply of the stud wall.

Regards

Skids

greenjonpi
Labourer
Labourer

Post by greenjonpi » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:52 pm

put some expanding foam into the cavity, that will not only keep the pipes in postion and give you the strength you require but will also insulate the pipes at the same time.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:48 pm