Fixing something to a false ceiling in a rented property
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tiffle
Labourer
Labourer

Fixing something to a false ceiling in a rented property

by Tiffle » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:42 pm

Hello diyers, I hope someone can help me, although it might sound like a bit of a strange request!

I used to have a pole in my spare room for dancing but I moved to the top floor of a group of flats which has a suspended ceiling. As far as I can tell from looking in the loft it has a metal grid above the ceiling, which looks to be plasterboard. The pole is removable and so is held between the floor and the ceiling without any permanent fixtures. It should rest on a joist to support it, but the suspended ceiling doesn't have one.

Can anyone suggest anything I can do to the ceiling to reinforce it from the loft side so I can put my pole back up? It has to be pretty much as strong as a joist because the pole has to take the weight of me flinging myself around it.

And, if that wasn't tricky enough, I live in a rented property so anything I do has to be near enough invisible from the living room side, although I'm sure a small hole or two covered with polyfiller won't be a problem.

Any advice? Thanks!

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

by acsimpson » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:06 am

I'm no expert but it sounds like the only option would be to go straight through the suspended ceiling and continue up to whatever is above. If the pole wont reach or you don't want to make the hole it sounds like you may need to install some sort of joist spanning the suspended ceiling.

It doesn't sound like it will either be cheap or easy though I'm afraid.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:43 pm