Fixing to wall with big gap between plasterboard and brick
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
morini66
Labourer
Labourer

Fixing to wall with big gap between plasterboard and brick

by morini66 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:24 pm

Hi. Looking to mount a TV bracket on the wall and have run into a problem. I drilled the first hole and found that there is a big airspace between the plasterboard and the brickwork.

Had a chimneybreast removed and the room replastered. Seems that the plasterboard is not exactly tight to the wall underneath!

It's a universal bracket, so I can use loads of fasteners, if required. But not happy about only mounting it to the plasterboard.

Or I can use very long screws. But worried that if I tighten them too much I will collapse that section of board, plus it will all be hanging in the breeze a bit - internally that is

Any thoughts please?

Dan the man
Ganger
Ganger

by Dan the man » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:43 pm

What you could do is mark on the wall where the screw holes are going with a pencil, now cut the plasterboard out about 4 inches around the centre of the mark, (maybe use a cup and draw round it). Now go and buy Onecoat plaster (either from B&Q or Wickes) mix it up quite stiff and fill the holes in. Wait at least 24 hours before you re-mark the walls and drill straight in. Do not use Browning because its rubbish, Onecoat plaster sets really hard and is great for drilling into, even better than Carlite Bonding.

Hope that helps.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:27 am