fixing wooden mantlepiece using floating brackets
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wyreforestblues
Labourer
Labourer

fixing wooden mantlepiece using floating brackets

Post by wyreforestblues » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:52 pm

I need to fix a decorative solid oak mantlepiece above a fireplace using floating brackets. The fireplace wall is brick with a plaster skim. The weight of the mantlepiece is 18.5 kg and is 13 cms vertical height x 10 cms protruding depth x 147 cms length.
It appears there are 2 types of floating brackets, those that have a steel rod, (12mm dia) one end screws into a plastic expansion support tube in the brick and the other end pushes into the wood. The other type involves fixing the support rod to the wall using heavy duty wall plugs.
Can someone please advise.
1. Which would be the preferred method. ( I would personally think the first method would be stronger).
2. If 3 brackets (minimum) are used will I have difficulty fixing the brackets so that the rods are absolutely at 90 deg to the wall surface because if not the drilled holes in the mantlepiece will not align with the rods.(any advice how best to achieve this would be appreciated)
3. Has anyone any experience of cutting the length of the rods since the length of the rods for such a weight exceeds the depth of the wood. Will reducing the length impact on the weight bearing.
Thanks in advance.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: fixing wooden mantlepiece using floating brackets

Post by stoneyboy » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:19 am

Hi wyreforestblues
Fit the rods into your shelf - a tight fit. Drill the wall with an ovesize drill and check the shelf fits. Fill the holes with a water based filler/adhesive and fit the shelf, use temporary supports while the filler sets.
Regards S

wyreforestblues
Labourer
Labourer

Post by wyreforestblues » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:15 am

Thanks stoneyboy. Interesting way of doing it. The floating brackets i intended to use are shield anchor types for the wall fixing whereby the sheaf surrounding the bolt expandes upon turning the threaded bold. but it means the wall fixing must be fixed before the wood. Here is the link.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QTZ24G2/ ... NrPXRydWU=

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:00 pm

Hi wyreforestblues
As you mentioned in your earlier post the holes in the timber must be at right angles to the rear face and the holes in the wall also at right angles. All very cloud cuckoo land stuff unless you have a pillar drill and jig for drilling holes in the masonry.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:48 pm