Flange for Shower and Bath use
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

calumski
Labourer
Labourer

Flange for Shower and Bath use

by calumski » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:58 pm

Evening all,

I've just pulled out my old shower tray and gravity fed shower with the intention of putting in a new over bath pump fed shower and bath. From the reading I've done a flange is recommended to reduce/minimise the air getting to the pump but from just having checked there's a flange already in place coming off the side of the tank just below the join where the slope starts to the top of the tank.

The hot water tank is fed from a cold water tank that sits just above and is heated via an indirect system from the central heating boiler.

There is a feed that comes from the top of the tank that I can only assume feeds the hot water taps but would I be right in saying that the supply coming from the side should only feed the old shower and nothing else? Only reason I ask is that I plan to to interrupt the feed from the side of the tank and put the pump in there.assuming it feeds only the shower.

My other question is more around the heating of the tank. I have an open fire back boiler that also heats the hot water tank but I'm unsure as to how the hot water gets from the fireplace to the tank. Does it use the same loop as the boiler would to indirectly heat the hot water tank? If so, what's to stop the water from the boiler going toward the fireplace and vice versa depending on what is hotter?

Should the fireplace back boiler have a built in vent? The only pipes I see concerned with the back boiler are off to the side off the fireplace where there is a tap I'm guessing for draining.

Cheers all,
Calumski

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:24 am