flexi pipe leaking on vaillant combi boiler
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
123mpb73
Labourer
Labourer

flexi pipe leaking on vaillant combi boiler

by 123mpb73 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:25 pm

i have a vaillant 828/2e combi boiler,the flexi pipe leaks after the central heating has been on and then cools down . the leak comes from the pipe clip ,gas fitter tried leak seal but didnot work said he would try stronger solution to fix leak as awkward job to remove flexi ? i would try but cant find anywhere that sells this part .any suggestions please[color=black][/color]

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:56 pm

The flexi pipe will have an 'o' ring thats makes the seal.

Removing and replacing this 'o' ring should solve the leak. Leak sealer should only be used if the leak cannot be found. Not to seal a leak that is visible and can be repaired - that is a DIY solution -not a professional way of repairing boilers anyway.

I can't find the instruction manual online to know exactly where the pipe is and how awkward it is to repair.

If you drain the boiler, and any radiators above the boiler. On most vaillants the flow and return pipes at the boiler will have 2 drain points, open with a 10mm spanner - attach some u gauge tube and drain into a bucket. If you can get the spring clip out and the flexi hose out you will be able to replace the 'o' ring - some boilers are awkward and you have to remove pumps etc for access, if you can find the manual online and place a link on here i'll have a look.

If you're unsure get an engineer in - a one that repairs boilers not a one that goes for a quick fix.

htg

123mpb73
Labourer
Labourer

htg engineer re: flexi pipe

by 123mpb73 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:21 pm

thanks for reply :the clip is quite easily accessible as the leak is from the top of the flexi (could remove screw and disconnect air inlet pipe for more access) i cant understand why boiler engineer says its an awkward job ? is it hard to find spares, or do you think he doesnt want the job. he is british gas timed served and it was him who used leak seal. the clip looks like it has been crimped onto the flexi ,does this make it more awkward for him

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:54 pm

It shouldn't be hard to find spares, as it is not an old boiler.

As for the difficulty of the job, like I said in my last post unless i can find the instructions for the boiler I cannot comment. Although I cannot see it being too difficult. Being crimped onto the flexi may make it difficult when replacing but if you can buy the flexi you will get the clips etc with it (should do anyway).
htg

123mpb73
Labourer
Labourer

re:htg flexi pipe

by 123mpb73 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:17 pm

thanx again htg stil finding it difficult to find flexi &clips online ,will try phone numbers. when found Ill change when installing towel rad so there is only one drain down . Ill keep you informed of progress ps do you think its worth trying to crimp clip a little bit more or do you think it will make seal worse. i can reach clip but would probably need crimping tool of some sort cheers 123mpb73

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1