Flexible toilet pan connector ... pros and cons?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mickfitz
Labourer
Labourer

Flexible toilet pan connector ... pros and cons?

by mickfitz » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:55 am

Hello

I'm fitting a wall mounted toilet. Location of the soil pipe, heights, angles etc etc are making it tricky to fit normal stuff to the pan. I'm sure there is some solution out there but it's eluded me so far!

What I have seen that will work perfectly/easy is one of those flexible pan connectors. I've seen a couple of variations in design. Some have high ridges (bit like a concetina) and I can imagine they'd gather 'rubbish' quite easly. The other design I have seen is braced with a metal wire and thick plastic tubing giving a much smoother flow inside the pipe. Looks similar to the exhaust outlet for a dryer ... if you get what I mean?

My toilet will sit higher than the connection to the soil pipe so there is a nice angle that should (I hope!) prevent any pooling of solids etc.

Fingers crossed now ... can I please have some feed back on these type connectors? I have heard various so far, but mainly 'for' in tricky fitting situations. If they don't make the grade I'll go back to the drawing board :-)

Thanks in advance ... Mick

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:34 pm

There are many different types of pan connector out there and usually a combination will fit almost any configuration. I always try and avoid the flexible ones if possible, but have to admit to using them on several occasions. Taken concertina types out after years of use as well, and they don't gunge up as you would think.

Really, there are only two reasons why I try and avoid the flexible type. Firstly, any bends put strain on the joints, and I have had one come unplugged after fitting whilst another became partially unplugged. Secondly, the ridges reduce the speed of flow, so have seen toilets where debris has not cleared after flushing. This seems worse if the fall is minimal or a long length is required.

Hope this helps.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:02 pm