DIY Doctor

Main navigation


Postby kgilhespy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:18 pm

My estate has a problem with flooding. The problem is with the inabilityof the surface water drains to cope with prolonged rainfall. The system backs and water rises up through the drains. As many properties are sited lower than the road level the excess water then runs into the adjacent properties subsequently flooding them by as much as two feet in depth. My question relates to the effectiveness of non-return valves located in the drainage pipework which several of my neighbours are considering installing. Do they work effectively and how much do they typically cost to install.
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:07 pm


Simply Build It

Postby rosebery » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:51 pm

Logically that won't solve the problem. If you install NR valves in the private part of your drainage system then all that will happen is that it will come out of the drains in the road when it backs up to that level. From there where will it go? Down the hill to the house again! So nugatory expenditure. If the flooding is as bad as you say that suggests there is a problem with the public sewers. If enough of you nag your local water authority they'll have to do something. You could also suggest to the environmental health people at the council that there is the possibility of a threat to public health.

Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2022
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:55 pm

Postby kgilhespy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:46 pm

Thanks for your comments & I too am sceptical about the benefit (if any)
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:07 pm

Postby steve the plumber » Mon May 04, 2009 10:14 pm

The builder hasn't developed the estate in relation to the water table. If it's on a hill as well, it's no wonder the water backs up so quickly and floods everywhere.

Get back in touch with the builder and maybe even your solicitor.
steve the plumber
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 9:32 pm

Postby Perry525 » Sat May 09, 2009 4:59 pm

Answering your question yes there are valves that totally close off the sewer. However, to be effective you need to install a holding tank to contain the waste that you create while the drain is closed.
And you can DIY.
May I suggest that before the estate was built the rain got away to a nearby stream or river and perhaps the best thing to do is, study the lay on the land and work out where the surface water would go, if various fences, walls, buildings had not been placed in its path.
Perhaps you, or one of your neighbors has on old map with contours and rivers on it, or better still a modern map on their computer that will provide the ground height above sea level for every garden - then you can see what needs to be done to loose the surface water.
Possibly a hole through someones fence or wall may provide the answer.
Rank: Site Agent
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 734
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:35 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics