Flood Lights With PIR and Tilt and Turn Light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Allan Kelly
Apprentice
Apprentice

Flood Lights With PIR and Tilt and Turn Light

Post by Allan Kelly » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:28 pm

Hello - first post, hopefully ok to ask this.
I need to change flood lights as the lamps have blown and the lens screws have rusted solid. They have tilt and turn lights and tilt and turn PIRs both of which we find very useful so I’d like to fit the same again, preferably with LEDs. Unfortunately Screwfix no longer supply them (the lights are only tilt). Does anybody know where I could get these sort of lights please? Thanks for any help.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Flood Lights With PIR and Tilt and Turn Light

Post by Mr White » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:55 am

Why can you not buy "separate components" and connect them to each other?
That way if you have a problem with one part, you can just change that and not have to pay for a part you do not need.
Using this method you can choose what wattage your lamp is, or even have two small lamps on one PIR.

Allan Kelly
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Allan Kelly » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:40 am

Thanks Mr. White. I had considered that but these were fitted during an extension project so the wiring is concealed in the cavity. I don’t want to alter and run it on the surface so that would rule out an easy change to a single PIR. Two separate PIRs with two separate tilt and turn lights is a possibility though (even for me!) if I can’t find the same as we’ve got. Thanks again.

Allan Kelly
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Allan Kelly » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:49 pm

Hello - just to close this out. Found light and PIR combined (Screwfix) that tilts and wall/light bracket (Toolstation) that allows light to swivel. All done, looks neat and works well.

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Post by collectors » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:35 am

It was very common for that screw to seize up. As a quick fix to keep you going temporally, make sure it's switched off & put a thin cardboard box over the glass front & give it a sharp & hard hit with a hammer. It would have to be hard as its toughened glass. It will just mean its open fronted, which many halogens used to be.
I have LED floods around my place & tried some of the 5 & 10 watt fittings & they are useless. Ended up fitting 50watt LED floods. But they are a lot larger fitting.

Allan Kelly
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Allan Kelly » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:51 am

Thanks Collectors - interesting approach! As per my last post I found what I was looking for.
Thanks for the tip re LED wattage - I fitted two @ 15W LED lights and as they’re only lighting a narrow path way they are ample but I will also have to replace a much bigger (and elevated) halogen which is positioned to cover a much bigger area of the garden so I’ll remember the tip. Thanks again.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:54 am