DIY Doctor

Flood protection

Postby Dave K » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:52 pm


First post here and I hope to get some help.
like may others around the country we got flooded out back in July '07. House is now complete mainly because of myself the builders and insurers were useless but thats another story.

I now need to know how I can prevent this happening again. The water came up about 250mm (8") around the house and not through any of the doors. The problem seemed to be water running through the air bricks around the house and once under the house started to come through the interior walls. the advance of the water from the flooded roads was very slow so we had time to save the good stuff so it is not a flash flood.

One thought is to move the air bricks up about 300mm from the original place and I believe you can get a sort of snorkel type of air brick there is also one with a flap which shuts when it comes into contact with water. I have seen the snorkel type but not the water flap one.
Anyone have any experience of either or maybe someone could point me in the direction of the flap type one or even better have any other ideas?

I am an accomplished diy'er so fitting either is not a problem.

Dave K
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:38 pm


Simply Build It

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics