Floor has too much give
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
junpit
Labourer
Labourer

Floor has too much give

by junpit » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:31 pm

Hi

I am in the middle of laying laminate flooring in my downstairs room. The house was built in 1912 and is quite solid.

Its typical for this period. The house is effectively on stlts with air bricks in the outer walls allowing the beams and structure to breath. Floor boards are placed on top of a series of beams that are set into the supporting walls of the house.

In one corner of the room the beams seem to have some give. The floorboards are fine. I can see some movement with the beams with the skirting boards off.

Should I take the floorboards off and attempt to repair the give in the whole thing or not worry about it. There is about 1cm of movement at the worst point.

I typically, like no movement whatsoever when Im laying floor.

Thanks in advance.

Junpit

ollyburton
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Floor has too much give

by ollyburton » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:57 pm

hello there is this a terrace house is the problem in front room alcove , thats normal. what i would do if skirting is off already lift a few boards n pack joists with plastic wedges dont be suprised if joists ends are a little rotten option :if so to solve lift a few more boards n replace joists in alcove about 4 ft
________
List of manufacturing facilities
Last edited by ollyburton on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:03 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:07 pm