DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Floor Joist Repair Question for old Farmhouse

Postby D&GAberdeenshire » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:28 pm

Hi all,
Our first post to this great website. We are considering buying a Farmhouse built late 1880 to 1900, on the survey some of the floor joist ends are rotten and need repair, the quote in is an eye watering £12,000, I have looked online and done a lot of re search and it looks like joint repair plates would do the job very nicely, but what is baffling me is what supports them on the wall end of the foundation ?, I know if I was replacing them with new wood I would rest it on damproofing but the repair plates do you pad them with shims to get the joist level, sorry if this is a daft question
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:20 pm


Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

Postby stoneyboy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:05 pm

Hi D&GAberdeenshire,
If you are referring to stirrup type plates these are screwed or built into the wall. The problem will be that if the joints are rotting in the wall this may have travelled along the joist so there will be just a rotten end for the stirrup to support.
Regards S.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 5327
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics