FLOOR LOADING FOR A HOT TUB
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
INVER
Labourer
Labourer

FLOOR LOADING FOR A HOT TUB

Post by INVER » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:50 pm

I HAVE BEEN ADVISED THAT MY FLOOR WILL WITHSTAND 90KGS/2 FT, I WANT TO PUT IN AHOT TUB WHCIH IS 7 X 7 AND WEIGHT IS 2000KG FULLY LADE4N INCLUDING PEOPLE...CAN ANYONE CONFIRM THAT 90 KGS IS ACCURATE FOR A FLOOR LOADING ....IF I CONTACT AN ENGINEER ITS £90/HR

lofty2
Labourer
Labourer

Post by lofty2 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:06 pm

2 tonnes is a massive weight to apply to a floor. Is the floor timber joists or concrete. If timber it will most certainly need additional reinforcement.

I'd get a Structural Engineer to look at that.

Robert Lopez
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Robert Lopez » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:11 pm

Following your recent request, find out the size of the timbers first then looking in building regulations for loading on timber members. Is the hot tub going right next to the wall or is it going in the centre of the room? Centre of the room will have more sag for the timber members. 2 Tonne is quite a lot, I wouldn't suggest it as an architectural technician. Try finding another location, & don't waste your money on a structural engineer, overpaid and underworked.

Chris Langham
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Chris Langham » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:24 pm

Inver,
2000kg is well in excess of the imposed load that a domestic floor can carry.

You will have to work out the dead loading currently, and then work out the suggested live loading, (what is the wt when the tub is full by the way??).

From that you can work out the bending moment, shear, deflection and hence the design size of the floor members required to strengthen it.
As such you will have to carry out design calculations, as the loading will probably be a point loading and not uniformly distributed.

It is almost certain that the current floor joist are inadequate and not able to support suggested the load.
It will probably require steel beams (UB) to support the loading.
You would be well advised to consult the local Building Control officer before carrying out any work

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:56 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:24 am