Floor Tile Help
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Afrique
Labourer
Labourer

Floor Tile Help

by Afrique » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:15 am

I had an aluminium double patio door fitted to my bedroom and now am about to tile the floor.The problem is, when I place a tile under the open doors the doors drag and scrape and that is before I even put tile cement. I did tell the door fitters that they need to leave space for tiles but they haven't left enough. I was thinking 'angle grinder' but am worried it creates a dip in the floor. Any suggestions as the door can't be raised? Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:16 pm

Afrique,
The question is did you tell the surveyor when he came to measure for the doors, if yes get the supplier back to correct the problem and don't pay until they have done so. If no find some thinner tiles.
end

Afrique
Labourer
Labourer

tiles

by Afrique » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:17 pm

I did tell the supplier or the doors when he came out to quote on the doors, but the day of installation he sent some other guys to install it, so not sure I can get him back now. I already bought the tiles and they are fairly standard, I did try to get 'wafer thin' tiles but they are very very expensive. So do you think it would be a real mess to grind some of the concrete floor away or should I just insist he comes back? I just hope he doesn't just turn up with an angle grinder!!
Thanks for your reply.
Shaz

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:09 pm

Afrique,
Grinding a floor with an angle grinder will be messy and not very effective, you will have to take off at least 5mm and will end up with a dip in the floor in the door area.
Get the supplier back and explain the problem - it may be possible for him to lift the frame and doors to give you the necessary clearance.
end

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:31 pm