All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
carruthers
Apprentice
Apprentice

floor tiles moving

by carruthers » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:06 pm

Hi everyone - HELP
I have laid 17 sq m of Courtyard style floor tiles (ex Wickes) they are 400mm sq and have 4 dummy tiles on them.
The problem is that the family have walked on them before the adhesive had dried properly, therefore they now move if you stand on one edge and crack the grout. I have used ordinary grout, flexible grout and a grout made up using PVA as the mixing agent, none of which have made the slighest difference. (All the joints were scrapped out each time I did this).
I am unable to lift any of them as they have been laid (at the suggestion of Wickes) without any spacers. Does anyone know of any liquid gap filling product that might do the job.
Thanks

paulmcindoe
Labourer
Labourer

Moving tiles

by paulmcindoe » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:44 pm

Your only solution to this is to lift the tiles which havnt stuck properly and relay (after cleaning back of tile and floor)If it's to a wooden floor use flexi rapid set, then use a flexi grout. Have been tiling for fourteen years now and have tried all sorts to get round re laying after a customer has walked on tiles by accident and have found the only sure way to get the job done proper is to relay. Know it's a pain but the effort spent will save you a lot of time and money in the long run.
Paul

carruthers
Apprentice
Apprentice

by carruthers » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:34 am

Hi Paul
Thanks for that advice, I must admit that I had thought that might be the case but having spent so much time on my knees - you know the rest and it wasn't in church!!!
Regards Carruthers

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:23 pm

you will have to break the offending tile to get it out. clean as much of the adhesive from the floor beneath as possible then relay a new tile. a pain but it's really the only way unfortunately.

carruthers
Apprentice
Apprentice

by carruthers » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:05 pm

Hi Chris
Thanks for that. I have just got a replacement tile. A real bind having to do this.
Regards
Carruthers

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:09 am

tell me about it! i've just had to remove four brand new floor tiles from a screeded subfloor as they got scratched. but you'll be pleased once it's done.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:15 am