floor tiling
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
moph
Labourer
Labourer

floor tiling

by moph » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:51 pm

we have just had 40cm square porcelain tiles fitted on a concrete floor. the floor had adhesive remains from ceramic tiles we pulled up. Also it was not fully level-higher at one end than other.
To fix this, the tiler has stuck a lot of the tiles, in some places almost an inch off the floor using thick adhesive in the centre of the tiles
The edges of the tiles have no support-just air between them and the sub floor. No grout has been applied yet but I can feel tiles depressing slightly when you stand on the edge of them. Worried that it will weaken the adhesive and affect the grout over time. one tile that was stuck days ago has now come up from standing on the edge.
Do you think we need to re-lay the tiles using adhesive support nearer the edges or do you think it'll be OK when grouted? Please help!!

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:00 am

It will not be OK. The floor should have been levelled first. What is the floor made of? How was it prepared? What adhesive did he use? Why the several days gap between laying and grouting?

If you haven't paid him don't! He should be invited to correct this shoddy workmanship and I have a feeling in my water that means it should all come up and start again.

Cheers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:49 pm