DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Floorboard replacement

Postby Jimmy_bronze » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:39 pm

Hi everyone. First time on here.

I need to replace a length of floorboard which has split. The floorboard is original 1930's and the width (110mm) is not commercially available from Wickes etc.

I can get 94mm which would leave an 8mm gap each side. Would this be ok to fit as is or should I fill? The concern is overtime a dip would form in carpet that has been layed over the top.

To me the safest thing to do would be to fit pine slivers but am I just overcomplicating?

Obviously an alternative is try and get a reclaimed length with the same width but I'm not sure how reliable or long this would take?

Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:11 pm


Simply Build It

Postby welsh brickie » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:43 pm

go to your local timber merchants and get them to cut down a flat piece of timber for you.
If you dont do that and your covering it in carpet, lay the new floorboard from wicks and use expanding foam to fill the gaps and cut off the excess when set.
welsh brickie
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2612
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:54 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics