Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Davearia
Labourer
Labourer

Flushed Radiators Still Cold at Bottom in Detached Property

by Davearia » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:40 pm

Hi,

New to this forum. recently bought a 3 bedroomed detached house in the north west England town of Cleveleys which I love both the house and the area.

The radiators in the house look like they maybe the originals, the boiler is a Glowworm and looks new and decent enough. But noticed the radiators were hot on the top but cold at the bottom. So today took them all off and flushed them with a hosepipe outside. Lots of horrible black silt came out, so thought this is looking good. Put them all back in place and filled them back up with water. Periodically putting more water back into the system and started the bleeding process. 1st boiler looked a winner hot top & and bottom. Moved on to the next one which doesn't seem hot any where. The last 2 downstairs are both hot at the top but cold from the middle downwards.

I'm starting to think that these radiators are so old that my attempt to flush them has caused more issues than it has resolved.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any suggestions other than get a plumber or buy new radiators? The house was built in the late 60's to give you an idea of how the radiators might be :)

Thanks Dave.

lets have a look
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Flushed Radiators Still Cold at Bottom in Detached Property

by lets have a look » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:24 am

You could try hiring a machine to flush the system for 24 hours using a chemical , Brandon's hire them, if you do don't forget to reverse the flow periodically

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:46 am