DIY Doctor

Main navigation

For Damp or mould proofing a Closet, can i use lining paper?.

Postby elakkiya » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:35 pm

I have a closet. I am planning to put some shelf up. There are signs of mould or damp(not sure which one it is, but there is no water leak), possibly due to old cement. wall and condensation inside house. Before I paint the closet, should i add a lining paper to prevent mould reappearing?. When I add a lining paper, will it prevent mould from reappearing ?. Or will it simply hide the mould and mould will be present inside the lining paper?.
elakkiya
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:25 pm

Hi elakkiya
The lining paper will disguise the mould for a short while, the mould will still keep spreading under the paper eventually appearing on the surface. The lining paper will not remain stuck in place.
Regards S
stoneyboy

Postby DIY_Guy » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:42 am

If there is no structural cause of damp/mould (which I highly doubt in a closet) then it will purely be due to high humidity levels. Get a humidistat (they are cheap), if your room(s) are not between 50-55% RH then you are high risk to damp and mould. A well ventilated house will never suffer from damp and mould issues.
DIY_Guy
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!