Forming opening into integral garage at foot of stairs
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
happyadd
Labourer
Labourer

Forming opening into integral garage at foot of stairs

by happyadd » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:49 am

Hi. I obtained planning permission and applied for BRs for a garage conversion. A neighbour of mine is half way through his so I decided to pick his brains on the BCOs requirements. He stated he was keen for there to be a 400mm space between the bottom of the stairs and the new opening. I am unable to do this as I only have 1000mm from the bottom to the external wall. Ive searched online and can only find reference to the 400mm if you are installing an outward opening door over a landing or top of stairs, which makes perfect sense. I can't find any reference to this at the foot of the stairs. Does anyone have previous experience of this and if so how can I get round it? It's the only access point available so the opening location is fixed. Thanks

arbco
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Forming opening into integral garage at foot of stairs

by arbco » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:18 pm

You are correct that this refers to a door opening over the landing at the bottom of a stair and not an opening adjacent. Look at approved document k for further advice

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1