Foul Stench from Somewhere in new Bathroom but no Leak?
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
edinburgher
Labourer
Labourer

Foul Stench from Somewhere in new Bathroom but no Leak?

by edinburgher » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:45 pm

Hi,

We had our bathroom done in March this year, have had problems with a lingering/sewagee bad smell very occasionally but it has always gone away within the day and we assumed it was maybe just typical toilet bad smells but recently it has gotten worse and more constant so I have been trying to find the sorce with no luck.

Pretty sure its not a leak as im in a upper flat and would have heard about it, also no moisture to be found. So im assuming it might be a dodgy set up? and gas might be getting back in through a waste outlet?

I don't think its the toilet as it always full of water and I am convinced the smell is coming from under the bath somewhere. There does seem to be water in both the bath u bend and in the sink trap so im a bit confused as to where the smell is getting in?

The following pics show the setup, there pretty self explanatory I think but I can describe it more if needed, any advice would be greatly appreciated:

DSCN3593.JPG

DSCN3584.JPG

DSCN3586.JPG

DSCN3588.JPG

DSCN3589.JPG

edinburgher
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Foul Stench from Somewhere in new Bathroom but no Leak?

by edinburgher » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:58 pm

I decided to have a closer inspection and removed a bit of plaster to check connection to external pipe. the plastic pipe just seems to be stuck into an existing lead pipe, could the fumes be coming in around this?
DSCN3600.JPG
DSCN3600.JPG (71.73 KiB) Viewed 1960 times

The lead pipe is connected out througha thick stone wall to the external cast iron pipe which also serves the flats below. The left outlet is from toilet to seperate stack, the right serves bath & sink. - Phot is looking out window and down external wall.
DSCN3604.JPG
DSCN3604.JPG (67.84 KiB) Viewed 1960 times

rap12
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Foul Stench from Somewhere in new Bathroom but no Leak?

by rap12 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:45 pm

Check the WC pan spigot connector for the faintest of leaks.

Check how the basin and bath waste connects to the soil pipe.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 pm