Foundations for a car hard stand
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
aleck
Labourer
Labourer

Foundations for a car hard stand

by aleck » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:11 am

HI - I have checked with the council re the cross over and the building permission (not required if the surface is porous) for a car hard stand at the front of my house (the utilites are to the side of the house)- Now all i have to do is build it. Could anyone let me know please how deep to dig the foundations. The rear wall will be on chalk (there is 6 inches of soil) and i thought i would dig down a foot in to the chalk and 1 foot wide with 6 inches of concrete. the hight of the walls will be no more than 4 Ft.

The sides are a problem as years ago the garden was terraced and has 1 raised level. I planned to dig down until i hit chalk or 2 feet and then pour 6 inches of concrete. For the stepped section i guess that i will again dig down as before? - No real idear?.

The front retaining wall (next to the pavement and on the terraced level) - I will dig down to chalk or 2 feet and pour 6 inches of concrete).

Could anyone please tell me if this seems reasonable?

Many thanks

Alec

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:27 pm

aleck,
You will have to make your own decisions based on the sub-soil conditions you find when you dig the foundations.
If you are building a retaining wall 4ft high you will need a 9" thick wall and extended foundation width on the retained side.
end

aleck
Labourer
Labourer

by aleck » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:40 am

Thank you - will start digging today!! :D

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:31 pm