Foundations needed for an internal load bearing wall
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Grannyjan
Labourer
Labourer

Foundations needed for an internal load bearing wall

by Grannyjan » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:49 pm

We are converting part of a single storey stone built barn into living accommodation and we have removed a wooden partition between an old garage and a cow shed. This has left a gap between two concrete slab floors, only one of which is going to be part of the domestic accommodation. We therefore have to build a block wall, where the gap is. The wall will be to the height of the existing walls and will support a wooden floor, to provide a storage area in the roof of the non-domestic part. The barn is built without foundations but on an area of rock. Excavation the gap I have found a cobbled floor on top of large lumps of local stone, closely packed but I have not yet reached bedrock.

How deep should I go with my excavation? Can I put a concrete foundation on top of the layer of stones? How deep must the concrete be?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:55 pm

Grannyjan,
Try driving a metal spike at various places into the gap. If it won't go in far you're probably OK laying concrete direct on this surface. The foundations should be at least 125mm deep.
end

Carl Beau
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Foundations needed for an internal load bearing wall

by Carl Beau » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:39 pm

Grannyjan wrote:We are converting part of a single storey stone built barn into living accommodation and we have removed a wooden partition between an old garage and a cow shed. This has left a gap between two concrete slab floors, only one of which is going to be part of the domestic accommodation. We therefore have to build a block wall, where the gap is. The wall will be to the height of the existing walls and will support a wooden floor, to provide a storage area in the roof of the non-domestic part. The barn is built without foundations but on an area of rock. Excavation the gap I have found a cobbled floor on top of large lumps of local stone, closely packed but I have not yet reached bedrock.

How deep should I go with my excavation? Can I put a concrete foundation on top of the layer of stones? How deep must the concrete be?

Hi.
This wall will become a supporting wall if it is going to hold flooring to another floor level. So your foundation has to be a min of 600mm deep by 450mm wide

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:10 am