Four cables combined
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Edpaterson
Tradesman
Tradesman

Four cables combined

by Edpaterson » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:40 pm

Hi

During refurbishment of kitchen units and worktops in my daughter's kitchen I came across a connector block behind one unit which effectively combined four cables. The original wiring had probably been altered by the previous owner to provide additional sockets in the ring main.

I was puzzled by this because the largest number of cables I have come across before is three; two for a ring main and one for a spur to the ring. I wondered whether the four wires might be a 'bridge' over the ring main. Tracing the wires would be very difficult.

Any ideas?

Ed Paterson

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:14 pm

Hi you may be right, if only one set of 3 way connectors used then it may be a 'bridged ring' due to someone misunderstanding principles.
If you have the means of testing by seperating the cables it should show the ends of original ring, plus possibly an additional loop around kitchen or 2 spurs taken from one point.
It should be possible to find out by use of meter rather than physically following.
However any alterations to wiring in kitchen is 'controlled service' under Part-P of building regs so may be cheaper to get registered leckie have a look,
regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:16 pm