Framed ledge & brace door
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Chicks Rule
Labourer
Labourer

Framed ledge & brace door

by Chicks Rule » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:22 pm

Hi,

Could someone please advise me on how to make frame ledge braced door from scratch.
What type of timber would be suitable, timber section sizes for Mid Rail , bottom (brace part of the door). Timber section for frame part of the door, etc, etc.

borderdoors
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Framed ledge & brace door

by borderdoors » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:23 pm

[quote="Chicks Rule"]Hi,

Could someone please advise me on how to make frame ledge braced door from scratch.
What type of timber would be suitable, timber section sizes for Mid Rail , bottom (brace part of the door). Timber section for frame part of the door, etc, etc.

hI, our framed ledge and brace doors are constructed using mortice and tenon joints from ex 4 x 2, the horizontal brace, also morice and tenoned into frame are of ex 6 x 1 1/2, 16mm v groove boards are used to face the door and diagonal braces of ex 4 x 1 are used. All timber is 5th grade or better scandinavian redwood.

Timberjack13
Labourer
Labourer

Ledge and brace doors

by Timberjack13 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:25 am

There are so many ways you can make ledge and brace doors, out of loads of different types of timber! the 'norm' is usualy 5'' T + G treated bevelled edge, and a brace timber of 88mm x 38mm with 2 zig zags at the back!

id screw into the brace timber and not nail...obviously these measurements can be altered to which ever way and size you decide, but these are the sizes i usualy make and sell and they last ages....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:51 am