DIY Doctor

Frech Drainage pipes

Postby happy2Bretired » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:06 pm

Hi, Have property in Indre et Loire, looking to compare prices for undergroung pipes(approx 100-110mm) to carry away rainwater to adjacent ditch,but having problems with accessing Builders Merchants web site with correct discription of the pipes I require.Local Blders Merchants are CMA and Point.P
Can anyone help with the correct french name for these pipes
Thanking you in anticipation
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:46 pm


Simply Build It

Postby Perry525 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:01 pm

While I cannot help with translation, I can say that we call them sewage pipes. A visit to you local store and a wonder round will quickly bring them to view.
While Indre is warm all year, I imagine they do have the odd cold spell?
Have you thought about making a French drain?
Not named after the French, but a Roman idea, taken up by an Ohio farmer some years ago called Mr. French.
There are French drains build by the Romans over 2,000 years ago that still work.
They are simply a ditch (that you have to dig anyway) filled with clean stones, the water just percolates through the stones.
French drains are good as you cannot damage them by freezing or by driving over them, they do not provide a breeding ground for mosquitoes.
Rank: Site Agent
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 734
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:35 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics