french door proble
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
blake
Labourer
Labourer

french door proble

by blake » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:14 pm

evenin all.
had french doors fitted a few weeks back but there is a draught from the bottom corner of the master door ,not on hinge side ,but where the two doors meet.the installers hve been back out to adjust them but still no joy.now the manufacturers have been out and also tried to adjust them with no luck.he admits theres a gap and a draught ,but says the doors are ok????? he has suggested fitting a thicker sealing rubber to the frame.the corner of the door in question can be pushed out 3-4 mm when locked but the the top of the same door is solid as is the other door?????? .my question is should i let him fit a thicker seal or is he just trying to bodge it>>>
would be very grateful for any help.
cheers[color=#000000][/color]

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: french door proble

by welsh brickie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:05 am

let him try the thicker seal first.But also measure the width of the door at the bottom and the top,check the frame for level and plumb.Also open the doors and measure the frame,I think its a manufacturers fault
It only has to be a few millimetres out for this fault to occur.
If they still havent sorted it,Then contact fensa and the building inspector at your local council

blake
Labourer
Labourer

by blake » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:21 pm

thanks for the reply mate.the gap is the same all round approx 5mm,except where the draight is coming from where it is 10mm(only in the one corner of the door).had a word with the installer today who wasnt happy withnthe manufacturers suggestion of thicker seal.its going to make it too tight on the hinge side.hes coming back round to put a level on the actual door to see if it is bowed in any way...

bosso3
Labourer
Labourer

by bosso3 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:34 am

Hi Blake. I take it you refer to a upvc door? The thicker seal will not work . From your description its more likely a installer error. You need to check the level & squareness , also use a long straight edge (or string line across the top & and bottom from side to side as well this will highlight any bowing in frame sections. More likely a bow in bottom as the locks is not engaging correctly if the sash moves at bottom but is secure at top. Hope this helps

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 pm