French Drain Damp Proof Course
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Robbie
Labourer
Labourer

French Drain Damp Proof Course

Post by Robbie » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:19 pm

I have had the ground work done by a well known company in the North West, from Wrexham North Wales. They are going to pattern concrete my drive and path around the house. They have dug up the old path which was two courses below the damproof level, however they have set the new level for the drive and path based on the level of the garage entrance and therefore need to raise the path level to one course below the damproof (this will give a level run from drive to path without the need for any steps). They have left what I think they call a French drain between the house and the new proposed path, it will be 50mm wide and will be filled with loose gravel. The boss of the firm has informed me that it is a recognised method and it will not prevent me selling the house in the future and will prevent any water building up and rising above the dampproof course.

Is he correct and is the work acceptable.

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:33 am

The ground level is required to be a minimum of 150mm below DPC Robbie. See Building Regulations for England & Wales - Part C, Section 4.4). This is to reduce the incidence of 'splashback'. A french drain is also a good idea and a lot more can be read about this in the projects section, french drains and soakaways.

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:59 pm

Many of the answers to your posts can be found, with diagrams, in the DIY Doctor drainage projects section. It includes a couple of French drain-related articles as well as a couple of damp proof coursing.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:35 pm