Frozen Soil Pipe and Water Mark on Ceiling
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

muckymabel
Labourer
Labourer

Frozen Soil Pipe and Water Mark on Ceiling

by muckymabel » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:59 pm

Evening all, after some advice about our waste pipe.

We live in a 3 storey house, with kitchen diner on bottom, lounge and loo on middle, bedrooms and bathroom on top.

Awoke this morning to a water mark on diner ceiling, under loo sink. Standing water in sink. No previous issues with sink, or any drainage issues in the house.

No problems with heating or hot water.

Soil pipe comes down back of house, and bottom 6 inches or so surrounded by snow.

Thought it could have frozen in current weather, so spent a considerable part of the day trying to defrost it with hot water soaked towels. Water level in sink hasn’t shifted.

My questions are:

If water has backed up into sink does that mean the entire length of soil pipe from sink to ground is full of water/ice?

Is there any point me continuing to attempt defrosting it given the outside temperature isn’t supposed to be above freezing for the next 4 days?

How much damage can i expect to floor/ceiling?

Will damage get suddenly worse when pipe does thaw and can I do anything about it?

When pipe does thaw are the toilets and bath/shower on upper 2 floors still off limits until leak fixed?

Any chance this is something different entirely?

Sorry for barrage of questions. Pleass be kind - sleep deprived new mum who needs her plumbing to work and her husband to finish nights to give her a hand (plus sleep, she needs lots of sleep)!

It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:59 am