fuse wire
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bazza
Ganger
Ganger

fuse wire

by bazza » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:52 pm

hi everyone went 2 change the fuse 4 my shower 2 day from a 30amp rewireable 2 a 32 amp mcb wylex plug in replacement type b but cudnt beleive it wen i pulled both the 30amp fuses out and the shower was still live it turned out my shower was running of a 15amp carrior with 30amp fuse wire connected is this a common set up and is it safe ? not that it matters now ive replaced it with the mcb but just curios thats all cheers

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:27 pm

This is why we are no longer allowed to use re-wirable fuses. Those already fitted can still be used but first cartridge fuses then MCB's replaced them. Although the blades are of different length even a 6 amp fuse carried could most likely take a 30 amp fuse wire without causing an overload to the carrier it is the wire leaving the consumer unit which would be overloaded. And in my younger days I have as a temporary measure done as you have just found the problem arises when one can't return to correct it. Boss says leave for now and you leave for another job before it is corrected. And today getting fuse wire is also hard and I am sure often people guess a 1mm² cable is somewhere between 30 and 45 amp as a fuse wire but fuse wire sizes are given in diameter not cross sectional area 30 amp = 0.85 = 0.57mm² and 45 amp = 1.25 = 1.23mm² so more and more mistakes are made. Fuse wire is allowed in industry but not anywhere that fuses may be changed by non skilled persons.

bazza
Ganger
Ganger

by bazza » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:18 pm

cheers ericmark thanx 4 reply much appreiciated mate

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:12 am