Fused Spotlights in Conservatory
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Pteal
Labourer
Labourer

Fused Spotlights in Conservatory

by Pteal » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:29 pm

Hello,
I normally dont have issues replacing spotlight bulbs (novice when it comes to DIY). However the spotlights in conservatory are problematic, out of six spotlights four are now fused.
I cannot work out how to get access to the bulbs so they can be replaced.
I didnt want to break it so not been very forceful - couldnt see any clips
I posted a picture to help you visualise the light

Any help would be most appreciated.
Thank you
Attachments
Picture of spotlights
Picture of spotlights
Picture of spotlights
Picture of spotlights

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Fused Spotlights in Conservatory

by Mr White » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:43 pm

Yours look a bit tired, why not buy a new one (or more) and see how it is assembled?
You can get them from Here

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:12 pm

Many lights today do not have replaceable bulbs.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:18 pm

I thought it would be relevant to point out why I suggested that Pteal should buy another lamp fitting to see how that is secured and then use this information to open his existing light fittings.

Although he has asked in the electrical section of this forum, and that yes, his lights are electric that is where the similarity ends.
It is a fact of life that it is not possible for us "regulars" to know each and every electrical device that "you the poster" will have or ask about, but as we like to be helpful I had to give the answer I did, and no doubt will have to again in the future.

You are more than welcome to become a regular.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:04 pm

10 years ago most spot lights were quartz, and there were two main types that fell into the MR16, the G5.3 and the GU10, the G5.3 was normally held in with a large cir-clip, and the GU10 you twisted often using a suction cup on the glass to twist it. There was a slightly larger version called a GX53 but in most cases you could remove the bulb.

But when the LED came out with a expected 10 year life, we started to get fittings where you can't renew the bulb, there was an EU move to stop these, but we left the EU.

In some cases it did make sense, I have many times struggled with a outside spot light and just come to the conclusion only way is renew the whole thing anyway.

I agree with Mr White seeing how the new one works can help, but only if you like the old one.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:21 pm

Just to add:
It has been over a week since Pteal asked the question about his specific light fitting, on this forum we get used to no feed back as to how the job went, but I really wanted to mention that not a week later we get a similar enquiry (click here if you want to read it.) My point being that it is a (Obsolete?) product specific question, to which we do not know the answer, simply because there is not anyone here who deals with this specific product, yes the questioner can wait, and wait for a specific reply, but the reality is, its not going to happen. Please do ask your question, we can but try, but don't be surprised if you get a generic reply.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm