DIY Doctor

Fused spur on lighting circuit for small network switch?

Postby murph78 » Mon May 11, 2020 11:34 am

Hi
I am not an electrician but keen diyer! I am trying to install power to my loft for the purpose of a small network switch for home networking and a fluorescent strip light. I have power already for a tv amplifier attached to a 13a fused spur which I was going to convert to a single socket and then use a 4 way extension lead but on investigation this socket is on the upstairs lighting circuit rather than the socket circuit? Is this relevant?
Attachments
FF551539-FFE9-48DD-A82B-639DB2B98A43.jpeg
Current set up
murph78
Progress to next rank:
75%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby Mr White » Mon May 11, 2020 5:20 pm

No.
It's not common, but like Tom Jones said, it's not unusual.
Mr White
Progress to next rank:
39%

Postby murph78 » Mon May 11, 2020 8:21 pm

Would it be safe though? The socket would have the existing tv amplifier plugged in and a Netgear 8 port switch - NETGEAR GS308 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch plus the fluorescent tube light when in use (rarely)
murph78
Progress to next rank:
75%

Postby Mr White » Mon May 11, 2020 9:53 pm

Yes, it will be safe, since everything will be protected by the fuse in the plug, which will take longer to blow than the MCB in your consumers unit. (I am assuming you have MCB's, don't worry if you haven't)
Mr White
Progress to next rank:
39%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!