DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Gable end

Postby jrterror » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:28 pm

I have a gable end to rebuild and I am considering using blocks instead of the existing bricks. It is only a small section of wall, single skin I believe, 8' long with it's highest point being at the centre and this is 4' high. (A triangle). It is out of sight, sat in a maze of roof valleys. I intend on placing a window in this expanse, this measures 3' by 1'. I was wondering which type of block I should be using. The gable end may be exposed to a lot of weather and because it is single skin shall be plastered on the interior, so it needs to keep the damp out, however ideally I do not want to render the exterior. Also, should I be using different types of blocks at each side of the window to support the lintel that shall in turn support the blockwork above the window? High density blocks perhaps? Which type of block has the best water resistance?
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:26 pm


Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:19 pm

Your proposal is not going to work.
Single skin walls will always be porous so unless you stop water ingress from the outside by either rendering or cladding with inside will be damp/wet.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 5327
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics