Garage base has been left open to the elements.
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
saljia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Garage base has been left open to the elements.

Post by saljia » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:28 pm

My old garage was taken down before the first lockdown and a new larger brick built one with a new base was to be built. Through no fault of the builder the new garage was not built and despite trying numerous builders am going for a wooden one the same size as the old one. My problem is, although the garage company say the base is sound, it has been left open to the elements and as I'm going to use it for storage was wondering if there is anything I can spread or paint over it to seal it up a bit? Thanks in advance for any help.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Garage base has been left open to the elements.

Post by stoneyboy » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:44 pm

Hi saljia,
If you are going to plonk a garage direct onto a flat concrete base you will get problems with water ingress around the edges. Build a low perimeter wall and fit a DPM lapped onto the wall, you can then add flooring on the DPM to protect the membrane.
Regards S

saljia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by saljia » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:09 pm

Hi stoneyboy, thanks for the reply. The garage side panels will drop down the side of the base to keep it water tight, the edges of the base are made from brick with the rest made from concrete. Its just that the concrete part of the base is a bit crumbly and I was hoping to somehow seal it before I put loads of stuff in. Sorry, I didn't explain it very well in the first post.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:16 pm

Hi saljia,
Thanks for clarifying- same advice, DPM, build garage, add chipboard flooring.
Regards S

saljia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by saljia » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:04 pm

That's great, thank you stoneyboy, you're a star. I would never have thought of chipboard.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:10 pm