Garage conversion footings
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
russellfl
Ganger
Ganger

Post by russellfl » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi, can anyone advise?

I will be putting in a building notice to convert my integral garage in my bungalow in late spring/early summer and i'm trying to cost it up. I don't have the resources to employ a builder (wish I had) so I have to do it myself, (planners say it's a permitted construction). The garage is part of the main bungalow and there's a lintel above the garage doors. I will be taking out the doors/frame and building up a cavity wall to take a new double glazed window. The head will but up to the rendered lintel.

Can anyone tell me what size footings I will need? In conversation with friends they think I will need to dig a 1metre deep by 450mm wide trench for the footings, does this sound correct? it seems a lot of footings to support a few blocks below the window. If correct how thick does the concrete footings have to be (surely not 1 metre)?

Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:08 pm

russellfl,
Do a trial dig to see how deep and what size your existing foundations are. If the boot is big enough you could alway fit a PCC lintol to carry the brickwork under the window.
end

elwood
Ganger
Ganger

Post by elwood » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:50 pm

Hi

If your luckly the existing footing may already go right through.

Do a trial pit if not the best solution is to lintel across using concrete lintels as already quoted.

Bye

russellfl
Ganger
Ganger

Garage conversion

Post by russellfl » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:20 am

Thanks for the response guys, i will do a test dig to see whats there. the garage floor is a concrete slab and is about 100mm below the main house floor so if there's no footings i will also have to break up the concrete to put in the new footings, so as per my original question, how deep and wide would the new footings have to be?. I'm not sure what you mean by putting in a lintel, where would I fit it?

Cheers

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:39 am

russellfl,
It is likely that the existing foundations will be wider than the walls so the PCC lintol will sit ontop of the foundations where they project out from the existing walls.
If you have to put in a new foundation the depth and size will depend on the ground condition and whether there are any services like drains.
end

russellfl
Ganger
Ganger

Post by russellfl » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:05 am

Thanks for all your responses it's been very useful. I haven't yet checked the footings, i'm waiting for some warmer weather before I get my pick axe out. (fair weather man)

Cheers

russellfl
Ganger
Ganger

garage conversion footings

Post by russellfl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:16 pm

Hi guys just one more thing if you could advise on. The existing cavity wall endings where the garage doors fit have obviously been closed off will I have to open them up to join the new cavity wall under the new window or can I join the new wall to the existing walls using wall starters and seperate cavity insulation?

Cheers

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:26 pm

russellfl,
It would be unusual to have cavity walls on a garage but if you have it's better to open the cavity and link it through under the window.
end

russellfl
Ganger
Ganger

Post by russellfl » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:11 pm

Thanks stonyboy they are definately cavity walls either side of the garage doors. Will take your advice and open them up.

Thanks for that

russellfl
Ganger
Ganger

Post by russellfl » Sat May 22, 2010 9:58 am

Thanks for all your responses, though due to illness i have had to "bite the bullet" and get a professional window company in to do the conversion. it cost me just under £2k to have a floating floor and new french doors in place of the old garage door, i'm well chuffed. A mate of mine is doing the plastering etc to finish off.

Cheers

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

Post by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:44 pm

Let DIY Doctor help you to find quotes from vetted and trusted tradesman local to your area. Visit our Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:10 am