Garage Electrics Problem With Strip Light in New Home
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
guestiee
Labourer
Labourer

Garage Electrics Problem With Strip Light in New Home

by guestiee » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:02 am

Hi all,

I have just moved in to my new house. In the garage there is a strip light (that would be fitting in a history museum) and a RCD socket, however the socket is not working.

I apologise for describing this in layman terms:

The power cable comes from the house, through the garage wall low down and firstly enters the box containing the RCD socket. A cable then leaves this box and enters the light switch, which in turn fits to the strip light. There is clearly power to the garage as the light works perfectly but I am confused as the cable appears to pass through the RCD socket to the light switch.

The reset button does nothing to the RCD unit.

Any ideas? Would it be a case of replacing the RCD socket? Or is there a common troubleshooting technique I am missing?

Thanks in advance for your help, and I'm sorry for the poor description!

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Garage Electrics Problem With Strip Light in New Home

by kbrownie » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:23 pm

Not a standard set up,would expect the light to be down fused.
What size fuse is at the board?

A picture of the RCD socket would be nice.

But if it is an RCD socket and the cable runs through the RCD enclosure to the light and socket does not work?
Then there could be a number of reason why the socket does not work.
1) Socket is shot
2)RCD is shot
3)You are not setting RCD correctly
4)The conductors in the enclosure are not connected to the socket (could be loose but twisted together, thus maintaining a supply to the light or they may not have ever been connected to the socket and terminated using another method or just continuous through the enclosure)

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:19 pm