Garage flooding from neighbours
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chrishatfield
Labourer
Labourer

Garage flooding from neighbours

Post by chrishatfield » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:04 pm

Hi all, first post. I hope this is a suitable forum.

My garage wall is on the boundary with my neighbour's garden. The garage floods in heavy rain. The soil in my neighbour's garden is up to two feet above the damp course and is against the garage.

Could this be a source of flooding?

Can anyone advise on whose responsibility it is to clear the soil from the garage wall? It would basically mean digging a trench between their land and the garage. The trench would be on their side of the boundary.

What technical solutions are there to stopping their soil from landing up against the garage again over time? Or stopping water ingress even if it does?

Many thanks

Chris

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Garage flooding from neighbours

Post by stoneyboy » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:26 pm

Hi chrishatfield
You need to go out in heavy rain and observe where the water is coming from.
Regards S

chrishatfield
Labourer
Labourer

Post by chrishatfield » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:09 pm

Thanks stoneyboy. I have been trying to see where it gets in in heavy rain and with a hose and there is one spot near the door I can see. Still the whole length of the wall is damp several bricks up from the damp course - green algae or moss growing on the outside and signs of damp on the inside. That must be caused by the soil being piled up against the wall.

So I would really like to find out is it my responsibility or the neighbours, not to do battle, just to know where I stand.

Also what could be done to protect the wall?

Is there a better forum to find out about responsibilities?

thanks

Chris

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:43 pm

Hi chrishatfield
These problems are always difficult. If your neighbours land was higher when the garages were built and the damp was not picked up on your buyers survey then it will be down to you to sort this out.
If your neighbour has piled soil against your garage wall you will have to raise the issue them.
The only way you will get a definitive answer on responsibilities is to engage the services of a solicitor who will need a whole host of information including details from your deeds. This will cost a lot of money and you may end up with nothing being done.
Try and reach an amicable agreement with your neighbour.
Regards S

chrishatfield
Labourer
Labourer

Post by chrishatfield » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:27 pm

Hi stoneyboy, thanks for your reply. I think you are right. I had more or less come to that conclusion.

I've just discovered the Damp and Damp Proofing forum so I will do a bit of reading there for technical solutions.

By the way I see you answer many posts - thank you.

Chris

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:42 am

Hi chrishatfield
Thanks for your comment.
You could try searching for "penetrating damp" where ash has similar problems.
Regards S

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:13 pm